Sunday, August 23, 2009

My favorite Japanese person

Last night I saw a drunken, middle-aged man get out of a car at a stop light and then walk into the middle of the intersection and sit in the road. His friend, who was driving, thank god, got out of his car and tried to get the man out of the middle of the road. But the drunken sitter was fighting him off. As this was going on cars were going around them.

Eventually a cop car came upon them. Stopped in front of them and waited there for about a minute until the friend finally dragged the drunkard out of the road. The cops then simply left.

After the cops left the drunkard returned to the middle of the road, but just standing this time.

His friend was pleading with him (I am guessing, I was too far away and not Japanese speaking enough to understand the words, but his body language was pleadingly) to get out of the road. And eventually the gentleman who enjoys imbibing stalked off away from his friend walking angrily, but on the sidewalk until he was out of view.

I think that might have been my new favorite moment in Japan. I love how drunk Japanese people get. And I mean, all Japanese people, from young to old. I can't tell you how many Friday nights I have had to navigate around drunken octogenarians.

No comments: